Winter Tree Pruning: Why Should I Prune?
Safety, one of our company’s main Core Values, is the most important reason properly pruning trees and shrubs on your property matters.
The University of Minnesota Extension cites two main reasons to prune trees and shrubs:
- Protect People and Your Property
- Regular pruning of your trees and shrubs protects your property and people on your property from the damage that can be caused by overgrown plants. An example of this could be removing dangerous tree limbs that might fall on your house during a storm.
- Protect Plant Health and Improve Appearance
- Removing branches that are dead or dying due to insect infestation, disease, weather or animals protects the entire tree or shrub from further damage. This would also protect any neighboring plants from being infected or infested.
- Pruning helps control a tree or shrub’s appearance, making it more attractive in your landscape.
Winter Tree Pruning: When Should I Prune?
In Pennsylvania, the spring time renews our excitement about the outdoors. Chirping birds and extended sunshine make us want to get outside and clean up after a long, bitter cold winter. However, in most cases it is best to prune trees just before spring.
As Purdue University Cooperative Extension points out, trees or Shrubs that flower after the end of June, should be pruned during winter months before new growth starts. Rodale’s Organic Life also states that not only is it easier to see where you need to prune after the leaves fall, but pruning during the dormant season re-energizes the plant just before spring. Removing any unnecessary weight from the tree or shrub allows the plant to focus it’s extra root and energy reserves on new growth.
Winter Tree Pruning: How Should I Prune?
If you are unsure about how to prune your trees and shrubs, contacting a Certified Arborist should be your first step. Certified Arborists at Cutting Edge Tree Professionals will provide a free assessment of your property, make recommendations, and provide a quote. We are currently offering a 10% discount on any service scheduled during January, February or March. Contact Us For A Quote Today!